Mobiles Most Popular Online Shopping Devices

Technology has changed so many elements of our lives, from how we communicate to how we shop. And it probably comes as no surprise that the number of transactions made online via mobile phones has increased again in the past year.

However, PCR Online recently reported on the latest figures from IMRG Capgemini, with the firm’s latest e-Retail Sales Index showing that we make more purchases via our mobile devices than using our desktops, laptops or tablets.

In fact, the research found that a 40.4 per cent share of sales revenue in the final quarter of 2018 came from mobile devices. Desktops were only just behind, accounting for 39.7 per cent of spend, while tablets took a 19.9 per cent share.

That also means that smartphones accounted for 70 per cent of all mobile device sales, with the remaining 30 per cent coming from tablets.

Strategy and insight director at IMRG Andy Mulcahy told the news provider that the figures from October to December last year mark “another significant step in smartphones becoming the dominant device through which we manage so many aspects of our lives”.

However, he stressed that while smartphones have become a more popular way of shopping online, people still use whichever device is most convenient. That means during the working day, a higher proportion of sales still come via desktops because people are at their computers anyway.

Lucy Gibbs, senior consultant in retail analytics at Capgemini Invent, added that the reason smartphones are taking an ever-growing share of the online shopping market is because they’ve developed to meet consumer needs.

“The advancements over the last few years in mobile banking, in-app purchases and a greater focus on optimising m-commerce sites have all led to the facilitation and increased confidence in purchasing on smartphones,” she said.

While it’s all well and good using online shopping to make your life easier, whatever you order has to be delivered to your home at some point. Sometimes, if you have to make the time to go and collect a parcel from the post office, it can be almost as laborious as going to a shop and just buying the item in the first instance.

You’re not going to want to encourage your postman or woman to leave your parcels sitting on your doorstep in plain view, but there is another option: installing a parcel box for your home.

These are ideal for keeping items safe and ensuring that you don’t have to make too many trips to the post office to pick up missed parcels.

Parcel boxes are secured with a combination lock. Once you set your combination lock you can then instruct those making deliveries to put parcels in your box and give them the combination when you place your order. Most retailers now have a comments box where you can give special instructions for your delivery, this is where you share this information.

When you come home, your parcels will be safe and secure, waiting to be picked up out of your box. One top tip to keep it secure is to make sure you rip up the label from your parcel to protect your pin when you’re throwing the packaging away.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *